Thursday 11 December 2014

Outings

I went on my first outing today after getting the halo. I needed to get some cash out, and purchase a few things from Officeworks. It was my first exposure to the outside world, and the outside world's first exposure to me!

I was intimidated when I realised I was walking into Joondalup Shopping Centre during one of the busiest periods of the year. With my extremely short haircut and loose fitting clothes, and oh yes, my bling, I wasn't feeling like a fashion model. I was anticipating horrified looks, and sensitive people bursting into tears, and a million questions, and possibly setting off all of the alarms.

Only one of those things happened. I did get a few mildly horrified looks and people did stare/did their best not to stare, but otherwise it was barely different than the normal shopping outing. People did tend to give me a wider berth, which was very useful since my head is two times wider than usual, with spikes everywhere. Actually, that made it even more annoying when people didn't give me a wider berth, because I was sure I was going to put someone's eye out.

The funniest thing was the kids who saw me. They literally could not tear their eyes away. I smiled at them, and I think that made one cry. I might need to invest in some tinsel and fairy lights before I see my friends with young kids again.

No comments:

Post a Comment