Friday 12 December 2014

Halo Clinic - Week 1

This afternoon I attended my first halo clinic at the Outpatient clinic of the hospital.

Ortho clinic getting into the holiday spirit





I was looking forward to seeing how many other people would have haloes. I was hoping there would be dozens of them, but there were only two, an old man and a young teenager. The two people who had haloes fitted at the same time as me didn't come to the clinic. Apparently one of them didn't last a day with the halo, and ended up booking into another hospital to have his discs fused instead. So I won't be seeing him at halo clinic!


The session was pretty straightforward. They tightened my pins which did pinch a bit, but since I was anticipating a lot worse, it wasn't too bad. They also made sure the vest was secure. The doctor who fitted me chastised me for fitting a singlet up underneath the vest. Apparently she has never seen that before, and the tugging might loosen the vest. She suggested that I avoid it, I told her the wool was itchy, we compromised on changing the singlet every couple of days.

My big question was regarding sleeping on my side. Apparently that is fine! The halo brace keeps everything in the right place, and gravity won't interfere. I shall be a happy side sleeper.

So that was Week 1 complete. I am officially 1/12th, or 8.3%, through the halo experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment