Friday 26 December 2014

2014 Retrospective

I have been wracking my brain trying to think of a succinct way to sum up the year, and I'm not coming up with much. Obviously the last month has been dominated with my new crogan status (crippled bogan, I've inherited the title from Trish). But the other 11/12ths of the year was generally delightful!



Looking at the numbers... everyone turned 30, I got lasers shot in my eyes for 20/20 vision, my volleyball team somehow rose from Division seven to Division six, I lived in Darwin for five weeks, four of my friends had beautiful little babies, we somehow came third on the ladder in volleyball despite losing the vast majority of games, I attended four weddings for three awesome couples, I went to Bali three times, and I drove approximately 4000km with the singular Greg. These are all now my favourite numbers!

Also, since my accident happened the day after my 30th birthday, I can accurately say that I survived my 20's unscathed. :)

It wasn't all a fabulous year. The biggest knock was that a good friend was diagnosed with breast cancer, at the young age of 32. It was the first time that I have had to face the fact that the people in my generation (unlike every other generation that has come before) are not invincible.

My friend's bravery and composure has been hugely inspirational, as she has tackled this challenge head-on, like she has tackled everything in her life. Although I know that this has been a stressful period for her, and her young family, you would never know it from seeing her. There has never been anyone who has been faster to laugh and to point out the absurdities of any situation and that hasn't changed. I was already impressed with her before I broke my neck. After I broke my neck, she became a role model. If she could deal with cancer and chemotherapy as well as raising two children, I could surely cope with living in a halo brace. Happily, her cancer is responding well to the treatment, so I look fondly to the day in the future when we can do each other's hair.


A lot of very nice things have been said to me, about how brave I am, and what a good attitude I have. I appreciate the compliments, but can't quite take credit for them. I honestly don't feel like having the halo is a hardship. Obviously it's not a pleasure, and there are some things which are unpleasant. I miss showers, washing my hair, driving myself places instead of depending on lifts, and something that used to be as simple as rolling over in bed is now a five-step process. My neck is hella sore when I wake up in the morning, and sometimes when I stand up quickly so the blood rushes to my head, there's a corresponding throbbing in my spine which I think might be where the broken vertebrae are. These are not things that I enjoy.

But these things are all such small parts of the day. The rest of the time, I spend doing what I would be doing anyway-- reading, watching television, browsing the internet, and catching up with friends. Soon, Greg will be back in town and he will integrate into that routine as well. Overall, this is like an extended weekend. The two things that I feel like I'm 'doing without' at the moment is working (and earning money) and the ability to go to a crowded pub (and spending money). Everything else?

Well, 2014 went by so quickly. I can hold out for another 9 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment