Thursday 26 February 2015

Tomorrrow, tomorrow, I'll lose ya, tomorrow! It's only a day awayyyyy.

Tomorrow is the day! I have my xray and my doctor consultation, and all going well, the halo should come off. I was talking to my sister on the phone yesterday and mentioned this to her, and she called me out about not sounding more excited. Apparently it's not enough to say, "Yeah I'm excited."?

I'm excited. I'm excited in a mediated way where I am looking forward to it, but because life in a halo hasn't been hellish, I'm not hanging out for it in the way that I might otherwise. Sorry I'm so well-adjusted?

People assume that it's awful, and tell me to my face that they could never have done it. To which I respond that if it happens to you, you just get on with it. Life as you know it hasn't ended. It's just been put on pause.

Of course I can put a lot of it down to the fact that as halo injuries go, mine is the most minor that I have ever come across (and I am really good at google). No spinal cord damage. No neck vertebrae were implicated in the injury. No injury or pain to any other part of my body. I got off easy!

Still, I am excited to get this thing off tomorrow. I am looking forward to taking it off like you do a bra at the end of a very long day. I know that the removal itself will be painful, and there will be some pain afterwards because of the muscle inactivity; not to mention the ligament damage and disc protrusion that happened at the time of the injury (don't think that shows up on an xray so who knows what's going on there). And I've still got at least a month of the neck brace. It's not over when it's over. There are some of the factors moderating my excitement.

Tomorrow is marked in my calendar as "This will be a good day". I'm looking forward to it.


3 comments: