Wednesday 11 February 2015

Other Halo Brace Blogs

I'm compiling a list of other blogs which talk about having a halo brace. Reading these other peoples' accounts has been helpful. It normalises what I've been going through, and shows the diversity of the experience. I have been upset, angry, frustrated and stinky, and that's fine because heaps of other people have been as well. The same people have also been stoic and philosophical as well, in the face of even greater challenges. That's a great example to follow.

It would have been nice to have found a site with people who are going through the halo experience right now (Feb 2015), but obsessively googling hasn't revealed much. This Facebook group about broken necks, and my halo clinic, is probably the closest I will get.

If I find any more useful blogs, I'll add them to the list below.

----


Kate: Female, Motorbike accident, C2
Very honest and articulate. Doesn't sugarcoat the experience at all. Also a little bit about the aftermath, which is pretty hard to find.
 
the girl at the traffic light junction: Female, Trampoline accident, C1 & C2
Actually looks glamorous in the halo. Trampoline accident is pretty much on-par with waterslide accident in terms of "How in the world did you screw that up?".

Aden: Male, Cycling accident, C1 & C2
His list of Top 10 questions received mirrors my list almost exactly.

Bourney's Blog: Male, Swimming Pool accident, C7 & T1, with paralysis. Based in Perth, Australia.
Written by the wife of a man who had an accident in Bali. I love the photos down the right side showing Simon out and about in Perth.

Nadine (Spinejuice): Female. Home interior decorating accident. C5 & ligaments.
Very detailed about her experiences, and quite humorous.

Olivia Moon: Female, Car accident, C2 & T6. Ended up having surgery. Based in Australia.
Halo brace is a part of her regular blog. Some good photography.

Charlie: Female, Horse riding accident, C2 & C7.

Sue: Female, Car accident.



Single page stories

Katie Pie: Female, Motorbike accident, C2.
Less day to day, but some good info compiled in one place.

Clarisse. Acknowledges the existence of sex in a halo, and uh takes it to the next level. You go, girl.

Sakura: Shows her (lack of) scar.

H2G2: A couple of entries about halo braces. Some useful information about day to day activities.



There has been a dearth of halo experiences related to thoracic spine injuries. As a result I'm not sure what I can look forward to once the halo comes off. Will I have back pain? Will I need surgery? Will I have full movement in my shoulders? And will I ever be able to reach the high cups again??? Suspense to be resolved in 2.5 weeks (and counting).

No comments:

Post a Comment