Monday 23 February 2015

Prism Glasses


How's the view up my nose?
Royal Perth Hospital lent me some prism glasses while I was a patient. They were an absolute lifesaver. Without them my only view would have been of the water stain on the ceiling which looked like someone pulling the finger. As if being in hospital wasn't insult enough.

They wouldn't let me take them home, though. Something about that being their only pair, with a cost of  $180, and wasn't it enough that they were lending me a stick with a hook on it and the high-back chair which eventually became my clothing storage system? They are a public hospital after all.

 Well about a month ago, I found "Bed Prism Spectacles Horizontal Lazy Glasses For Reading and Watching TV" listed on ebay for $7.58 and free postage. They arrived on the weekend and I have to say, I'm was really surprised with the quality.

The glasses are made out of black matte plastic, and they feel sturdy. The mirrors are the important thing. They are well aligned with eachother so that viewing something in your lap doesn't strain your eyes. There is a bit of a gap in the middle where the mirrors obviously don't meet, but it's probably as distracting as your nose is at that distance. Holding things closer to your face makes it more obvious, but that's using them incorrectly so the failure is entirely your fault. The angle of reflection isn't adjustable, and the glasses are quite front-heavy so they fall down your nose, which means that you have to look more down than straight ahead. That's a minor quibble though, given that they cost $8.
 
I'm thinking of ordering a few more pairs to donate back to Royal Perth Hospital. Right after I finish off paying the bill for the MRI.

No comments:

Post a Comment