Friday 23 January 2015

Halo Clinic - Week Seven

Another week done and dusted. Well and truly on the home stretch now!

Discussion of the clinic under the classic Demotivational Poster.
  
Take care on waterslides over the Australia Day long weekend, kids.

I'm a bit disappointed, because I got my appointment for the x-ray, which will (hopefully if all goes well!) be the same day the halo comes off, and the date is set for the 27th of February. Which is the original date that was set out to me, and not the accelerated date of 20th of February, which I was expecting based on the conversation with the doctor two weeks ago.

While it is only a week and aligns to the original timeline, I was hoping to wear a ~pretty~ dress to my friend Neil's wedding on the 21st and have already informed everyone it is to be so. Now I have to do some backpedalling and find a dress that will accommodate a total lack of neckline.

My infected pins aren't even cooperating on this, because they are actually getting better. Hooray! The doctor had said that if they persisted in being infected, they might take the halo off early and give me a collar instead. This is not as insane as it sounds. The fractures are in the thoracic section, which is not involved in as much movement as the cervical (neck) or lumbar (lower back) sections. No biggie. Anyway, the infections are finally drying up and healing over. Traitors.

I also found out that I won't need to do any rehab program after the halo comes off (great), but will instead wear a neck brace to wear for a month, before they graduate me into trying to move my neck on my own. Now I'm not going to make any assumptions about this again, but I suppose this means that's another extra month that I won't be able to drive. What a pain!

Only five weeks more weeks to go. At least now both Greg and I are working, which means we can start saving money to do the 21-day, 230km, 3250m above sea level, Annapurna Circuit hike in Nepal in the later half of the year. :)

You've got to have something to look forward to.


No comments:

Post a Comment