Sunday 4 January 2015

Alright, Stop! Shower Time.

One good thing about having been on a months-long camping trip prior to breaking my neck, is that I had already come to terms with an intermittent shower schedule. Compared to some of the roughest, hottest, filthiest terrain that Australia has to offer, the amount of filth I develop sitting around the house is negligible.

Still, I wish to retain a 'social life' and 'basic human standards', so foregoing showers completely isn't an option. After four weeks, I think I've found my groove.

Under the jump is my routine. I don't talk about anything funky, but you probably only need to read it if you have a halo brace and are trying to do things independently because you are hardcore and don't need to lean on anybody.

This is probably going to be my first move after the halo comes off.

Essentials: A shower chair, detachable shower head, washcloth, mirror, and bathroom sink.


Lower Half:
Use the showerhead to spray down the lower body, keeping it pointed down at all times to avoid wetting the sheepskin liner. Don't forget the back.

Wet the washcloth, and soap it up. While standing, take care of the parts you can reach.

Take a seat on the shower chair, and scrub the parts you couldn't reach before. This is also when I shave my legs.

Stand up, spray your body down. Easy!

Then you are ready to tackle the Top Half. I didn't find any good way to do this in the shower. This is where the bathroom sink comes in! The mirror provides a handy visual because otherwise you can't see what you're doing.

I do it arms, then face and around head, but you can do it at the same time if you don't care.

Exit the shower, and fill the sink with water. Bring your washcloth. You want it wet, but not soaking. Wring out an appropriate amount of water so that when you use it on your skin, it leaves water behind but doesn't drip.

Wet down the parts you can reach. Soap up the washcloth, and use it to scrub the same parts.

Rinse it out, then use the damp cloth to wipe up the soap. You might need to do it a couple of times, because you don't want the cloth too wet. It's here that you really run the risk of getting the sheepskin liner wet. I usually do splash a bit, but it seems to dry out ok. But, don't be like me.

If you really want to feel super fresh, run an alcohol wipe around under the parts of the vest that you can reach. I am  still not very good at this, and there's a spot on my upper back I can't reach at all. I have a plan consisting of a long strip of towel, 50% solution rubbing alcohol, and a boyfriend willing to pull the damp strip back and forth underneath the vest, but this plan is yet to be tested.

That should be it. Get dressed and feel clean and happy and ready to rejoin society.

No comments:

Post a Comment