Friday 2 January 2015

Halo Clinic - Week Four

Officially one-third of the way through!


Halo clinic again today.  Back left pin is still infected, and the skin has started drifting past the pin like a tectonic plate moves over the molten interior of the earth. This is known as tracking. Fortunately it hasn't moved very far, so we will stay the course on that one. The front left pin is also starting to discharge, so I have been prescribed ALL THE ANTIBIOTICS.

Actually just a more general one. They also took some swabs to see exactly which nasty bacteria has invaded. Stay tuned. X-ray next week as well.

A new patient has joined us. She is very special, because she has a non-invasive halo. It looks like an American Football helmet with the face and the top of the head removed. After seeing it, I'm not sure it's preferable. It actually looks more restrictive. Her mouth can't open wide, there's a big pad on the back of her head, and it looks hot for summer.

Dad got super excited and wanted to switch me over straight away! No dice.


Her injury sounded pretty scary. She had a "Hangman's Fracture" which she didn't know about for 5 weeks. At any moment, any sneeze or cough or bump could have ended her! She wins the prize for '2014's Luckiest Spinal Injury'.


Meanwhile, as I was searching for the image, I came across a Flickr album consisting of various braces, wheelchairs etc from a lot of different sources. Some were clearly medical, some clearly personal. When I found it, I thought, "I bet this is some odd sex thing". People just don't collect images of medical equipment for educational purposes. Looking at the profile description... yep, it's an odd sex thing. I just don't understand! The vest is the most asexual thing ever!

I hope my photos don't end up part of a similar collection. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment